Subject: RE: [security-services] Comments on SAML 2.0 Core draft-19...

+0 (whatever experienced implementers think), ...

... but consider that verbosity (less-of) is not the only
criteria in a case such as this, where user interfaces
are concerned.

Here the schema is also conveying a sense of the "default"
user interaction principles ... and those follow interaction
design practices that no unbeckoned presentations suddenly
appear [1].

I'd say that in the security context this user interface
aspect extends to all services cooperating in a consistent,
integral, presentation. Which imposes a default of: don't
interpose yourself (IdP/ECP) unless I specifically say you
may (and by which I am indicating that I have already given
the user the proper indications and am committing to follow
up 'your' interactions appropriately).

In other words, a default of "true" for IsPassive seems
just about right to me.

That's my two cents.

--Nick

[1] Given yet-another interpretation in, e.g., the "captive
phase" of Cooper & Reimann, 2003, where an interface must
positively indicate the *potential* actors in the action,
but of course going way back.