Subject: Re: [security-services] Reminder: please review contributor listsand send updates

Hi Tony,

I believe that the entire TC is already acknowledged in a separate
"acknowledgements" page. I have to admit I don't know what other OASIS
TCs have done, or whether they even all do the same thing, but it seems
to me that the following things are actually quite important (based on
my experience as an editor both here and elsewhere):

1) Active contributors of actual text should be acknowledged separately
from general TC acknowledgements. I think the reasons for that are
two-fold - i) because contributing actual specification text and/or
substantial comments on specification text generally requires quite a
lot of thought over some sustained period of time - thus, I think these
contributors should be noted for their additional work and ii) I think
it's also important to tell the public which companies were actively
involved in writing the specifications.

2) If a specification is largely based on a previous specification, I
think that the previous editors (if different than the current editors)
should be listed as contributors, as they have basically written most of
the text previously.

I certainly agree that the contribution lists should be as inclusive as
possible. I think also that it is not only possible, but only proper to
distinguish between those who have submitted substantive or substantial
pieces of text for the specifications from those who have contributed
during TC meetings.

It would certainly be nice, however, if there was some stated (and
perhaps OASIS-wide) policy on what the editor and contributor lists
really meant.

Cheers,

- JohnK