Subject: RE: [security-services] SessionIndex and Privacy Text

I think it would be useful to document the two common mechanisms used in liberty solutions for this index:

        a) small integer (which we have in paul's suggested text)
and   b)  the assertion ID itself is stored in the session index.

The second seems to have issues with the "MUST NOT be a unique..." requirement although it doesn not violate privacy.

So, my recommended verbage:

When privacy is a concen, care must be taken to ensure that the SessionIndex element does not invalidate other privacy mechanisms - the value MUST NOT be usable to correlate sessions across different SPs  Two recommended solutions are provided below:

Hmm... Thinking about this, we could just move to using the assertion ID since storing that value at the SP is little different than storing the session index and for the IDP, they probably keep track of the assertion IDs that they have issued at least for the lifetime of the assertion.

If we did use the Assertion ID, we could simply get rid of the session index.

Thoughts?

Conor