Subject: RE: [security-services] Comments on core-2.0-cd-01 - Assertion Issuee

>  There should be an indentifier which reflects the party (or parties)
>  the assertion was issued to. With X.509 end entity certificates the
>  issuee is described by either the SubjectName or the
>  SubjectAltName. However, SAML is much more flexible with respect to
>  the role of the entity being described by the <Subject> element.

Although knowing the issuee may have some usefulness in terms of auditing, I
think the real goal of this suggestion is about providing more information
in the assertion about the entity (or entities) that are expected to *use*
the assertion, which generally means those that can satisfy the subject
confirmation.

To that end, I'd like to propose something a little different that I
actually proposed back in February after various discussions with Ron
Monzillo back when I was working up ideas for the AuthnRequest message
(thanks to Gary for digging this up, I had forgotten it):

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200402/msg00157.html

Specifically, item (4) in that list of suggestions.

Much of that note's proposals has been adopted into the specification
already, like renaming the set of identifier elements and restructuring
SubjectConfirmation into a method plus single Data element.

Item (4) suggested adding an optional sequence of BaseID/NameID/EncryptedID
choices to <SubjectConfirmation>, allowing the issuer to name/identify the
confirming entities in a SAML-consistent way. One might achieve a similar
outcome by, for example, embedding SAML identifiers in a ds:KeyInfo, at
least in the holder-of-key case, but putting this in our schema would allow
it with other kinds of confirmation methods, perhaps with other semantics.