Subject: RE: [security-services] RoleDescriptorType in Metadata schema

-----Original Message-----
From: MAILER-DAEMON@mail.oasis-open.org
[mailto:MAILER-DAEMON@mail.oasis-open.org]
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 3:56 PM
To: scantor@wideopenwest.com
Subject: failure notice

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail.oasis-open.org.

<security-services@lists.oasis-open.org>:
Sorry, only contributing members may post. If you are a contributing member,
please forward this message to administration@lists.oasis-open.org (#5.7.2)

From: "Scott Cantor" <scantor@wideopenwest.com>
To: "'Paul Madsen'" <p.madsen@entrust.com>,
   "'SAML SSTC \(E-mail\)'" <security-services@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:56:12 -0400
> In the Metadata schema, it is the RoleDescriptorType that is
> declared abstract rather than the RoleDescriptor element.

Elements aren't abstract in XML schema, types are. Elements can be of an
abstract type, as this one is, in which case xsi:type must be used to
declare the actual type.

> Consequently, XML Schema allows RoleDescriptor to occur in
> metadata instances in addition to other elements of a type
> derived from RoleDescriptorType,

No, only the former. Try declaring a derived element and putting it in a
document, you'll get a failure because that's not in the choice allowed for
the EntityDescriptor.

> So the following would be valid
>
> <EntityDescriptor>
>     <RoleDescriptor>
>     </RoleDescriptor>
> </EntityDescriptor>

Nope. The type is abstract, and you have no xsi:type, therefore it's
invalid.

> as well as something like
>
> <EntityDescriptor>
>     <new:NewRoleDescriptor
> xsi:type="NewTypeDerivedFromRoleDescriptorType">
>     </new:NewRoleDescriptor>
> </EntityDescriptor>

Also invalid, since your extension element is not a legal choice.

> Was it the intent to allow the first case? Was it to avoid a
> substitution group?

We don't permit substitution any more. The only legal way is:

<RoleDescriptor xsi:type="NewTypeDerivedFromRoleDescriptorType">
</RoleDescriptor>

This is the same everywhere in the spec, Condition, Statement, BaseID, etc.