Subject: RE: [security-services] Question about IPR on the final SAML V2 specs

Okay folks –PLEASE DO NOT go down this rathole for the 99th time by debating this topic on the TC list.

The OASIS SSTC is bound by the OASIS IPR Policy and TC Process.  These policies and processes are quite clear. The SSTC will follow these policies and procedures as we work towards OASIS standardization of SAML 2.0.  This means that we will ensure that the TC website has the “appropriate” declarations.

Few, if any, of us are lawyers, so flooding the dist list with yet another long round of debate on the matter is pointless.

If anyone feels that the chairs or TC members are not abiding by the OASIS TC process or policies, then take it up with the chairs and OASIS administration.  Just please keep it off the list.

Rob Philpott
Senior Consulting Engineer
RSA Security Inc.
Tel: 781-515-7115
Mobile: 617-510-0893
Fax: 781-515-7020
mailto:rphilpott@rsasecurity.com

From: Anthony Nadalin [mailto:drsecure@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 9:21 AM
To: Conor P. Cahill
Cc: NISHIMURA Toshihiro; security-services@lists.oasis-open.org

Last I heard Liberty is not part of OASIS, so I would expect a explicit OASIS declaration and NOT a pointer to a Liberty site that may change w/o OASIS knowledge or approval.

Inactive hide details for "Conor P. Cahill" <concahill@aol.com>"Conor P. Cahill" <concahill@aol.com>

"Conor P. Cahill" <concahill@aol.com>

11/30/2004 08:14 AM

"NISHIMURA Toshihiro" <nishimura.toshi@jp.fujitsu.com>

cc

security-services@lists.oasis-open.org

Subject

Re: [security-services] Question about IPR on the final SAML V2 specs

At this point, you can go to the liberty site to review the disclosures.

A summary of the information there (you can read it yourself if you
like)  -- You should also note that I am not a lawyer and am not
providing you with any kind of legal advice -- get your own lawyers
to do the review):

There are 5 diclosures.

   AOL's is on IDFF and ID-WSF and has issued and non-issued
       patents listed.
   Catavault's is on IDFF but only lists NON-Issued patents.
   Citigroup's is on ID-FF but only lists NON-issued patents.
   Fidelity's is on ID-FF and lists an issued patent.
   Sony's is on ID-WSF (NOT ID-FF).

NON-Issued patents have no standing so Catavault's and Citigroup's
statements are about stuff that was not yet real IP.

Sony's is about ID-WSF, not IDFF, so it doesn't matter in this
context.

So that leaves us with AOL's and Fidelity's statements which both
provide reciprocal royalty free licenses.

I'm not sure which of the 5 participate in the SSTC (other than AOL,
of course) and I don't know if any of them will feel the need to
make statements in OASIS beyond what they have already done in
Liberty.

Conor