Subject: Minutes for 8-Mar SSTC focus call

Dial in info: +1 865 673 6950 #351-8396

Attendance:

Rob Philpott

Prateek Mishra

Scott Cantor

John Hughes

Greg Whithead

Rick Randall

Tom Wisniewski

RL “Bob” Morgan

Paul Madsen

AI summary:

  1. Rick will be responding with a new draft of X.509 profile that takes the proposed compromise into account.
  2. Scott – propose an MD extension for query client and query responder roles.
  3. Tom – propose some text to clarify the interaction for the SlO/termination use cases.
  4. Chairs to put saml1x metadata doc up for a CD vote at next meeting.
  5. Rob – will send pointers to the new IPR policy and the transition policy for all TC members to read.  We’ll add an agenda item to an upcoming con-call to discuss the policy and what it means for our TC (what mode we wish to operate under, when do we want/need to transition, etc).

1. Editorial issues re: packaging SAML 2.0 docs for

OASIS

- Rob: Working with OASIS to obtain persistent URL’s for specs so we can use them in the IANA memo’s in the appendices.

2. Recent threads:

a. Possible compromise on profile language (on Rick’s proposed profile)

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200503/msg00007.html

AI: Rick will be responding with a new draft of X.509 profile that takes the proposed compromise into account.

- Scott: there’s no metadata for queries.  Grid community is also interested in the use of the attribute queries. How is this profile going to be linked to metadata. The ds:KeyInfo is at the role level and there are no roles for the query support.  Should we consider doing this in the MD?

- Rob: As part of a V2.1?

- Scott: Why not do it as a separate document on a CD track and eventually roll it into 2.1.

- Rick: how would this be handled?

- Scott: as a separate document with the MD extensions described.

- Greg: Is this a role within an entity or a type of service provider?

- Scott: It’s a role.

- Greg: to be clear – it’s a bucket to put a KeyInfo in, right?

- Scott: yes.

AI: Scott – propose an MD extension for query client and query responder roles.

b. Potential Errata

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200503/msg00006.html

- Consensus is to add an errata to clarify the SLO/federation termination session termination confusion.

- Greg: if a use goes to a management page at an SP and terminates their federation with an IDP, we don’t state what should happen.

- Tom: I believe a session should be orphaned after a terminate operation.

- John: Do we want to include some of this info in the Technical Overview?

- Rob: is this too detailed? Does it belong in implementers guide?

- Scott: probably in both.  Some of this is deployment, so Tech Overview may be most appropriate for that.

- Paul: what if the termination is at an administrator’s request?  Should sessions be orphaned?

- Tom: Perhaps do a logout first and then terminate?

- Prateek: Sounds like a number of cases should be described and discussed.

AI: Tom – propose some text to clarify the interaction for the SlO/termination use cases.

- Tom: re: AuthnRequest signing flags.

- Scott: The metadata flags don’t come close to covering the needs here.

c. ECP

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200503/msg00008.html

- Prateek: Appeared to reach closure.  Is there anything to further document?

- Scott: it’s not an errata issue.  It should probably be a FAQ entry.  Perhaps some info should go in the implementers guide.

- no action needed.

3. SAML 2.0 Supporting Documents

a. Executive Overview

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/security/download.php/11472/sstc-saml-exec-overview-2.0-draft-05.pdf

- Eve would like the token from Paul to make edits from her recent review.

- Paul will send her the doc source.

b. Technical Overview

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/security/download.php/11511/sstc-saml-tech-overview-2.0-draft-03.pdf

- John: 2 items left: 1) explain basic federation use case and 2) Eve’s section on 1.1/2.0 differences.

- Eve will be calling John tomorrow.

c. Implementation Guidelines (from August 2004)

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/security/download.php/8958/sstc-saml-implementation-guidelines-draft-01.pdf

- Prateek: this document is orphaned.  It will likely just have to wait.

4. Other docs on CD track

a. SAML 1.x metadata

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/security/download.php/11496/draft-saml1x-metadata-04.pdf

- Scott: published an update today and would like it to go for a vote next week.

- Scott: I’ve implemented and tested this profile.

AI: Chairs to put saml1x metadata doc up for a CD vote at next meeting.

b. X.509 Authn-based Attribute Profile

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/security/download.php/11323/sstc-saml-x509-authn-based-attribute-protocol-profile-2.0-draft-02.pdf

- Discussed earlier

c. Response to analysis of Artifact Profile

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/security/download.php/11191/sstc-gross-sec-analysis-response-01.pdf

5. Other business:

a) Scott just sent out mail re: trust validation so folks can take a look at it.

b) Scott asked when/how the new OASIS IPR policy would affect us.

- Rob: the policy is now in affect since it has been approved by the board.  The transition period can take up to a couple of years.  When a TC transitions to the new policy depends on their stage of activity.

AI: Rob – will send pointers to the new IPR policy and the transition policy for all TC members to read.  We’ll add an agenda item to an upcoming con-call to discuss the policy and what it means for our TC (what mode we wish to operate under, when do we want/need to transition, etc).