Subject: venue for SAML profile discussion/registration

Along the lines of "other business" for today's call:

I think we've talked about this issue occasionally but I don't think we've
come to a conclusion.  Maybe it is somewhat related to the conformance
discussion in terms of facilitating the use of SAML by specific
communities.

People may be aware that there is some work going in the SIP community
about profiling SAML for use in authentication and attribute-transmission
for SIP sessions.  See:

   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tschofenig-sip-saml-02.txt

for the current document.  I recently spoke with the main author (Hannes
Tschofenig) about how to proceed with this.  They're thinking about some
extensions to SAML (eg a SIP-specific confirmation method) and wondering
(a) how to get review, and (b) if OASIS or the SSTC will provide a way to
register such extensions.  I think it's in the interest of the SAML
community to support this kind of thing, at least structurally (obviously
we can't commit anyone in particular to do serious design work).  Ideally
some procedures-for-profiling/extending-SAML would be in our outreach
material.

  - RL "Bob"