Subject: Re: [security-services] SSTC FOCUS call, March 22

I have attempted to reflect comments from RL Bob, Tony, and Jeff as follows

Note: these sections are copied from their respective places within the doc

      Securing Web Services

SAML assertions can be used within SOAP messages in order to convey
security and identity information between actors in web service
interactions. The SAML Token Profile of the OASIS Web Services Security
(WSS) TC specifies how SAML assertions should be used for this purpose.
The* *Liberty Alliance's Identity Web Service Framework* *(ID-WSF) also
uses SAML assertions as the base security token for enabling secure and
privacy-respecting access to web services.

WS-Trust, one component of the WS-* framework initiative, proposes
protocols for the exchange and validation of security tokens used as
described within WSS. A SAML assertion is one such supported security
token format.

      Shibboleth

The Shibboleth Project is an initiative of the Internet2 consortium to
develop technical and policy frameworks and an open-source software
system for controlling access to online resources- targeted to the needs
of higher education, research, and their partners. Like Liberty, the
Shibboleth System profiles SAML for its particular requirements and,
also like Liberty, has built privacy management into its architecture.
Input from the Shibboleth Project's use of SAML 1.x has been fed back
into SAML V2.0.

      WS-*

WS-* is the unofficial name for refering to an inititiative proposing a
broad set of specifications for different aspects of Web Services,
including security. The security aspects of WS-* are based on the
concept of using security tokens as described in the OASIS WSS TC – the
SAML Token Profile of whicih specifies the usage of SAML assertions as
such a security token.