Subject: RE: [security-services] Forwarding thread on "previously established an identifier usable by the requester"?

Howdy everyone.

A 2c opinion follows . . ..  NI Management can be construed to be a
'distributed identifier management protocol'; if that is the case,
should it not include a more formal set of rules for identifier
lifecycle?  At present, :persistent and :transient try to capture the
essence of the problem associating their intended semantic with
lifecycle rules.  However, their meaning in context is not specific to
lifecycle and includes scope like 'anonymity' that one may argue is
extraneous to lifecycle.  There is a lot of room left for possibly
inconsistent interpretations; separating lifecycle from other concerns
in a more orthogonal set of rules may help clarify possible
interoperability questions; for which the current guidelines are useful,
but may need clarification.

Alberto Squassabia
Conformance Engineer
Ping Identity Corporation, www.pingid.com
(303) 468-2885
asquassabia@pingidentity.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Cantor [mailto:cantor.2@osu.edu]
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 11:10 PM
To: 'prateek mishra'; security-services@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Brian Campbell
Subject: RE: [security-services] Forwarding thread on "previously
established an identifier usable by the requester"?

> I should have linked to this message from Brian Campbell as part the
> April 5 agenda. We can discuss this thread under errata or as an
> independent item during the call.
>
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/saml-dev/200503/msg00000.html

Synthesizing a few potentially concrete things from that thread (not to
disparage my long-winded and mostly unsatisfactory responses that people
will so enjoy):

- we might want to strengthen the proviso in the NIM protocol about
transient identifiers not "generally" being used with it

- we definitely should clarify whether the SPProvidedID feature in NIM
attaches the alias to "this principal" (the current text) or "this
NameID"
(my intent, not precluding or requiring the IdP from attaching it to
other applicable NameIDs for the same principal)

- reaffirming that AllowCreate false was definitely not intended to
preclude use of pre-provisioned identifiers as in many current use cases

- whether persistent in and if itself assumes dynamic creation during
SSO (I think we're agreed it doesn't)

- whether persistent attribute-based identifiers introduce a loophole
sufficient to render using AllowCreate pointless anyway