Subject: Re: [security-services] Forwarding thread on "previously established an identifier usable by the requester"?

Thanks for the characterization below, it confirms to me that AllowCreate deals with issues that the specification we otherwise avoid as being at the "next layer": the when and how of identifier creation, sharing, flows between partners, lifetimes etc.

I think the best thing to do would be to capture your characterization and limit or discourage its use outside certain narrow contexts (for any identifier other than persistent??).

- prateek

[Grw]

 The point of
AllowCreate is to prevent an assertion from being generated in response
to an AuthnRequest under certain circumstances: namely, when the
requester has not already been assigned a persistent identifier for the
user (in-band from a previous authentication, or out-of-band by some
other means). In other words, AllowCreate=false is meant to prevent the
requester from learning a persistent name for a user that they don't
currently already know. In Liberty ID-FF we called this sharing of a
persistent identifier 'federation' and the flag on AuthnRequest was
called 'federate'.

[\Grw]