Subject: RE: [security-services] SAML Testing Referral Program Proposal for SSTC Review & 30 Day Feedback - Response to SSTC Feedback

SSTC Members:

I am currently at the OASIS Symposium and using the event as an opportunity
to have F2F discussions about the issues raised by Frederick, Greg, and
others with OASIS Staff, Members, and Board Members that are in attendance.

We appreciate the issues/concerns that have been raised about the SAML
Testing Referral Program Proposal and would like to ensure you that the
feedback is being reviewed by OASIS Staff and Board in order to determine
next steps.

I have requested an agenda item on the next SSTC conference call to discuss
the status of this program proposal.

Andy

Andy Moir
412-213-0338 Work
978-761-1648 Cell
andy.moir@oasis-open.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com [mailto:Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 2:57 PM
To: grw@trustgenix.com; andy.moir@oasis-open.org
Cc: security-services@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [security-services] SAML Testing Referral Program Proposal for
SSTC Review & 30 Day Feedback - Response to SSTC Feedback

Andy

Nokia agrees with the concerns raised in this message and strongly supports
that changes be made to the current as well as future conformance testing
programs.

Nokia is concerned about the use of a vendor to provide such
interoperability testing and the concerns that have been voiced regarding
potential conflicts of interest, early access to competitor's products, and
unequal marketing opportunities.  We appreciate the efforts taken to reduce
the risks, but believe there is an inherent problem in such an arrangement.
Thus we recommend disallowing vendors of products based on a standard to
offer such programs, or finding another solution such as allowing multiple
providers of a defined service.

I also note that it may be harder to make the distinction between referral
and branding than it might appear, since such a referral mechanism may be
easily viewed as an endorsement, regardless of disclaimers.

Despite the statement in the OASIS response ("The purpose of SSTC review,
per the OASIS Adoption Service Referral Program, is to review technical
merits of the testing program."), we believe it is entirely appropriate for
the SSTC members to raise business concerns, which should be addressed.

We are also looking forward to answers to Tony and Greg's questions as well
as the issues noted.

Thank you

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch