Subject: RE: [security-services] ECP SSO Profile and Metadata

Title: RE: [security-services] ECP SSO Profile and Metadata

Ok, so my attempt at a summary:

1. The SP (either via Authn Request information such as the protocolBinding, ACS index, or ACS Url, or through the metadata ACS default) will dictate to the IDP Single SignOn Service which endpoint is to be used for the reponse (which implies the binding to use as well). This is true even if the binding does not match the expected one (e.g., HTTP-based for an ECP SOAP Authn Request).

Example:
- ECP -> SOAP Authn Request with ACS index 1 ->
- IDP does not have ACS index 1 for the SP, and the default is an ACS with binding  Artifact.
- IDP completes local signon, if required, etc...
- IDP -> HTTP-Artifact Response -> ECP
- ECP can process this as an incorrect response and send an error to the SP (or do nothing I suppose).

2. The protocolBinding value urn:...:PAOS can be used to tell the IDP Single SignOn Service to respond with an ACS whose binding is PAOS. If for some reason there is more than one endpoint for PAOS (non of which are the default) and the ACS Url does not accompany the AuthnRequest, then *one random* endpoint may be used by the IDP.  I assume this is true in general (seems to beg for an isDefault per binding per service indicator in the future).

The main point here is that PAOS should be used as the ACS url binding in metadata. Specificially, if someone was to use "urn:...:SOAP", then the IDPs should be allowed to (a) say SOAP is not supported (i.e., you should have used PAOS as the protocolBinding), or (b) reespond with the standard SOAP-based response (i.e., an SAML Response message wrapped in SOAP -- and NO ecp:Response).

Nick, I don't see that we are changing or need to change the ecp Request/Response messages in any way here.

Tom.