Subject: NameID mgmt and account "merging"

I wouldn't exactly call this errata (more like an overlooked use case), but
a question arose in our community over whether NameID mgmt was intended as a
facility to support merging accounts when an IdP discovers that it has
issued two accounts to the same physical person.

At least in higher ed, this is a somewhat frequent occurrence because of the
imprecision in identifying some kinds of students, particularly
international ones. Of course this also can happen any time an IdP allows
some kind of self-registration of low assurrance identities, and in other
cases.

Anyway, the question arose as to what an SP would do if an IdP sent it a
ManageNameIDRequest in which the NewID value matched an existing identifier
shared between the IdP and SP.

Plausible reactions:

- This is an error.

- The old identifier and new identifier refer to the same principal and the
SP could terminate and cleanup the old identifier/link, merging other
information or not at its discretion.

- Panic and terminate both identifiers.

- Others....

In my mind, a merge would be the sort of thing that is covered under the
broad heading of "what the shared identifiers mean to the deployers", much
like AllowCreate, and would be a deployment option how to respond, but this
seems like a potential interop issue that should be clarified, even if it
precludes supporting the use case.

My impression is that it was not the subject of any discussion in ID-FF.