Subject: RE: [security-services] Fwd: SAML Conformance SSL/TLS requirements

> Well, you are not "recommending", you are REQUIRING, which is my main
point.
> I believe the language in this section should be relaxed to say these
cipher
> suites are RECOMMENDED, rather than MTI.

The point of conformance is to ensure points of commonality. If they aren't
REQUIRED, then there is no guarantee that any two SAML components will share
any cipher suites. The fact that this is unlikely to be an issue in practice
doesn't change the goal.

> It isn't part of the SAML specification, it's purely a
> transport layer issue that (imho) is out of scope for these specs.

It is important to ensure that the implementations of that transport layer
by requesters and responders support a common set. The fact that some of may
(or may not) choose to use existing off the shelf libraries to implement
that transport is immaterial. This just forces implementers to pick good
ones.

Why is this different than making specific XML Sig algorithms MTI? Of course
maybe you disagree with that too, as that would be consistent.