Subject: Could use advise on changing the SAML FAQ

I got a bit stumped when working on my action item to change the
SAML FAQ (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/security/faq.php) so
that it doesn't talk about "slight" incompatibilities.  Rob gave me
some input but suggested I check with the TC to be sure.

This is about the paragraph under the question "What is SAML's
history and background? What is in SAML's future?" that reads as
follows:

"Approval of SAML v1.1 followed in September 2003. This version
focused on improving interoperability and specification clarity
through experience with Version 1.0, and in particular on tightening
up the relationship of SAML with XML Signature. In general, minor
revisions of SAML can be expected to be backwards compatible. This
version is very slightly incompatible with SAML v1.0 in the area of
XML Signature in order to take advantage of new knowledge about XML
Signature processing."

I was instructed "to change the FAQ answer for 1.0-to-1.1 to remove
the suggestion of compatibility and to comment on the fact that
products that support V1.0 also implement V1.1, such that it's a
product compatibility issue and a partner communication/contract
issue to choose one."

My attempt at a revision resulted in the following, which felt like
it was answering questions that hadn't been asked:

"Approval of SAML v1.1 followed in September 2003. This version
focused on improving interoperability and specification clarity
through experience with Version 1.0, and in particular on tightening
up the relationship of SAML with XML Signature.  Typically, products
that offer SAML v1.0 support also offer SAML v1.1 support.  As in
any situation, if you are making a decision about which version to
deploy, you should check on product compatibility among your
identity federation partners and ensure that any
deployment/configuration agreements specify the correct version."

Rob's attempt went like this:

"Approval of SAML v1.1 followed in September 2003. This version
focused on improving interoperability and specification clarity
through experience with Version 1.0, and in particular on tightening
up the relationship of SAML with XML Signature.  The nature of these
changes resulted in certain backward compatibility issues for SAML
V1.0 and V1.1, so in general, these two versions are considered to
be incompatible when different versions of SAML are configured
between partners. Products have been introduced to the market that
support both SAML V1.0 and V1.1, although they typically require any
specific configuration of any two cooperating partners to use the
same version of SAML. As in any situation, if you are making a
decision about which version to deploy, you should check on product
compatibility among your identity federation partners and ensure
that any deployment/configuration agreements specify the correct
version."

I like Rob's new/changed text on top of mine.  My only additional
thought is that maybe we want to break out much of this detailed
stuff into a separate question like "What are the differences
between SAML v1.0 and SAML v1.1?" -- or add it to the question
currently called "What's new in SAML v2.0?" and change the 	question
to "What are the differences between SAML versions?"  Then we could
broaden the product deployment and configuration advice so that it
applies to any version.

What do people think?  Can we spend one minute on this issue in
today's call?

	Eve
--
Eve Maler                                         +1 425 947 4522
Technology Director                           eve.maler @ sun.com