Subject: Re: [security-services] LDAP Attribute Profile (saml-profiles-saml2.0)

I'm willing to believe that the intention was to include the ASN.1
octet string wrapper, but I won't say that I'm not disappointed.
Perhaps I'm missing the value that it adds (none that I can see).

I assume that, following LDAP, the basic encoding rules (BER) would
be used for the octet string wrapper. e.g.
	05 <len> <bytes>

Of course, <len> is a variable byte encoding (<128 fits in one byte).

We definitely need an errata item for this.

Another nit, which probably deserves a separate thread, is that the
LDAP attribute profile sets a bad design precedent in my opinion.
Namely, it is impossible to know that the LDAP attribute profile has
been used without first knowing about the LDAP attribute profile. Let
me explain with an example:

> <saml:Attribute
> xmlns:x500="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:profiles:attribute:X500"
> NameFormat="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:attrname-format:uri"
> Name="urn:oid:0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.60" FriendlyName="jpegPhoto">
> <saml:AttributeValue xsi:type="xs:base64Binary"
> x500:Encoding="LDAP">...</saml:AttributeValue>
> </saml:Attribute>

1) The NameFormat is urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:attrname-format:uri,
which is a generic format that could be used in any profile. This in
itself is not a problem, but it means that the AttributeValue
encoding has to be self-describing.

2) The ONLY clue we have that the AttributeValue is encoded using the
X500/LDAP profile is an attribute in the profile namespace
(x500:Encoding). Unless we know to look for that attribute, or we
search for all attributes that we don't understand and throw up our
hands if any are found, there is NO way to know what crazy encoding
rules have been applied to the AttributeValue (such as ASN.1 octet
string wrappers).

This strikes me as a very poor design pattern. It would be much
better to have a well known Format/Encoding attribute on
AttributeValue that unambiguously instructs the receiver on how to
process the value.

-Greg