Subject: Re: [security-services] FW: [saml-dev] Constrained delegation

These are good points; maybe the issue is more about capturing or
recommending certain patterns of use
vs. developing a new profile.

But before we discuss solutions, here is a question:-:

Is it important for SAML issuers and relying parties to distinguish between:

(a) A system entity that presents a SAML assertion that states "it" is
named Joe; together with
      proof of possession..

        (i) SAML issuer: must ensure by some means that only Joe is
issued this token.

        (ii) Relying party: validates proof, issuer information. May or
may not have additional information about Joe (e.g.,
              directory entry). Provides appropriate services to Joe
against this information.

        (iii) This is what the SAML 1.1 HoK modeled.

   (b) A system entity that presents a SAML assertion, that states it is
named server X and is acting for Joe;
         together with proof of possession.

          (i) SAML issuer: must ensure by some means that Joe agrees/is
aware of the issuance of the assertion to server X.

          (ii) Relying party: validates proof, issuer information. May
or may not have other information about Joe (e.g.,
              directory entry) and server X (e.g., list of approved
servers). Provides appropriate services to server X/Joe against this
information.

          (iiii) This is what SAML 2.0 HoK models.

- prateek