Subject: FW: [security-services] X509 Authn Attribute Profile erratum?

Hi Rick – we discussed this on the SSTC call today.  Scott seemed to recall explicitly asking about whether it was intending that both the Assertion and the Response must be signed, which is what the text in the intro of section 4.0 implies.  It says that the Response must be signed, but then sections 4.2.1 and 4.2.3 say the assertion must be signed (yet the subsections don’t mention signing the Response).

If it was intended that both be signed, then the section 4.2.1 (<Response> Usage) should be changed to state that the response must contain a <ds:Signature> element.

But signing both the assertion and the response is usually overkill unless you believe that the issuer of the assertion is a completely different trusted entity than the sender of the Response message.  I don’t believe that would ever be the case in this profile.

I believed the intent was to just sign the Assertion which is what sections 4.2.1 and 4.2.3 were saying.  But Scott’s recollection called that into question.

Can you elaborate?

Rob Philpott
Senior Consulting Engineer
RSA Security Inc.