Subject: ITU-T *pending* approval of SAML and XACML

     Thank you;  Abbie may have some things to add once he's returned and
cleared his desk.
     TC members should be aware that we probably will NOT make a broad
official announcement about this, until the ITU-T Last Call vote is
completed in June, as a courtesy to the continuing ITU process.  We will
post additional status information here as it becomes available.

     Congratulations also are due from OASIS professional staff to the
Security Services TC.  We especially are grateful for the technical work,
cross-walking of rules, and general diplomacy contributed by Abbie Barbir,
Olivier Dubuisson and Eve Maler, as well as some earlier work in 2004 by
Hal Lockhart and Karl Best, to make sure the submission was  successful and
was appropriately transposed.  When Abbie and I met with ITU's Study Group
17 last fall, we met with a very receptive audience, and received a great
deal of helpful assistance in working through the various procedural
steps.  This spirit of cooperation continued in the interim and during the
two week SG17 meeting in Jeju, Korea just ended.  SAML will be better known
and more widely available due to the cooperative efforts we've enjoyed.

     Please note that, as a part of the submission to ITU-T, we included a
copy of all intellectual property disclosures made to OASIS regarding SAML,
as well as a continuing pointer to the site at which OASIS posts any new
notices.  During May we will work with ITU-T staff to specify ongoing
publication plans.  It is our understanding that OASIS members are not
separately obligated to make IPR disclosures to ITU-T, if they've already
fulfilled their obligations at OASIS.
     It is our mutual hope that information on future work on SAML also
will be cross-distributed, and give rise to additional future collaborative
opportunities.  We expect to maintain live, on-going liaisons to facilitate
those channels.
     Again, congratulations on this preliminary indication of success.

     Cordially, Jamie Clark

~   James Bryce Clark
~   Director, Standards Development, OASIS
~   jamie.clark@oasis-open.org