Subject: RE: [security-services] Some tech overview comments

I've noted Paul's good suggestions about TOv2d14, Sect5.2.1.
In thinking about Brian's comments a bit, I am wondering:
is balance or perspective in portrayal the problem at hand?
Even: should we be a bit "less balanced"?

Yes, it seems to me difficult or even unwise to "promote" one
approach over another in such a document, this can result in
confusion and unintended consequences.

But we're a bit on now, in terms of work and deployment, from
where this was written, and I have a definite feeling that ECP
comes across too strong. In my narrow experience I have
repeatedly walked into situations where the ECP diagram is the
central illustration, and the architecture is in walkthrough:
the domain doesn't seem to matter -- financial, science, and
medical. Repeatedly, the task is to find out why they think
ECP is/was the answer ... and after going back to fundamentals,
and exploring future difficulties and possible lost opportunities
for integration, it usually isn't. (I hasten to add, tho, that
ECP has offered an expedient solution to platform challenges,
and even political forces.) Has anyone else seen this?

So, apart from Paul's note about portraying ECP in terms of
inabilities, it might be that ECP is overplayed. Possibly by
just being a _bit_ complicated (therefore attractive to certain
teams). But also by having many aspects that make the ECP Profile
seem, well, special, even ... enhanced. Leading designers to
think: "... and why shouldn't we use something that's enhanced,
and that offers us the most enhancement, after all; even future
flexibility? Let's design our client to use that enhancement
stuff. (Besides, then we get to control everything, and anyway
I don't understand that discovery stuff.)"

While I think ECP is actually quite clever, is it not, actually,
more often, in pre-existing devices/architectures, used like a
prosthetic/remediation profile? And wouldn't -most- new clients
be wise to study closely, and give initial favor to, the other
profiles? Which gets to Brian's questions in:

>> That leaves me thinking, would a client that can't do
>> redirects really be able to do SOAP, PAOS, and some SAML?
>> And when the IdP and SP can't communicate directly, why not
>> just use POST?

Rather than argue that in the document, perhaps something along
the following lines gets to Brian's initial comments (and
incorporates your follow-on comments, Brian), about the expected
design factors in clients, while falling between the existing
text, and your modifications, Paul.

I propose:

-- -- --

5.2 ECP Profile
The browser SSO profile discussed above works with popular web
browsers, fully-featured web libraries and tool kits, and many
embedded implementations. This section, in contrast, describes
a SAML V2.0 profile which fits when, to participate in SAML V2.0
use cases, a client deployment context requires assistance
through proxy service, or requires enhancement.

5.2.1 Introduction
The Enhanced Client and Proxy (ECP) Profile enables several
SSO use cases, in particular:

 * Use of a device with limited functionality (such as a non-HTTP-
   based device), which relies on a proxy server's communication
   with the IDP, such as a mobile device relying on a WAP gateway
   to provide HTTP proxy services.

 * Use of a client that is enhanced to participate as an active
   party in SAML V2.0 message exchange, allowing such an enhanced
   client: to assist the requesting SP in IDP discovery for the
   associated principal, to maintain orderly message flow in the
   presence of disconnected services, and to otherwise provide
   ancillary services in service of the SAML V2.0 message exchange
   (including, e.g., communications with the principal, or
   automation on the principal's behalf).

 * Use of clients otherwise incapable of participating in the
   preceding browser SSO profile and its bindings, including such
   limitations as where the client does not support redirects, or
   where the artifact binding is ruled out because the IDP and SP
   cannot directly communicate, or where factors such as client
   scripting limitations inhibit automatic forms posting. If
   these limitations cannot be overcome, one candidate solution
   might be to enhance the client with ECP capabilities.

-- -- --

Best,
--Nick

  Nick Ragouzis