Subject: RE: [security-services] Some tech overview comments

Well, I don't see what you're suggesting we do --within the scope--
a SAML V2.0 TO should properly claim.

A couple of points:

> Well, FWIW, I don't think the word WAP should appear in the TO.

And the SAMLv2.0 Profiles? It was in there last time I looked, but
going by memory for now. Perhaps that historical path should not
be overlooked in helping folks understand this mechanism?

And it seems we're kind of in agreement about *existing* work,
which is, isn't it, the kind of work that many, many, folks just
coming to SAML V2.0 will be dealing with?

While you rightly point out that given a lot of design latitude
you might do something entirely different, I've seen folks think
of ECP as a panacea, and get mired. I'm talking, e.g., about
designers ALREADY in command of a fully-capable embedded user
agent, in deployment, thinking they "want" or "need" to add SOAP,
etc. in order to deliver basic SAMLv2.0 capabilities. Something
is wrong with that. And I suspect the TO has contributed somewhat
to that.

There's one edit that I made before sending my first suggestion,
which at this point I guess I'd reverse:

In:
 > a client deployment context requires assistance
 > through proxy service, or requires enhancement.

s/requires enhancement/requires or offers enhancement/

I fully favor even basic ECP when actual client enhancements are
actually on offer. I would love to see a fuller explanation of
how that works, or could work. But that, it seems to me, strays
into these other design advice areas, and threatens to create
an imbalance in what should be, basically, a simple elaboration
of how to understand the specification.

In that vein I restrained myself, for example, in that second
bullet, from elaborating on the ways in which discovery can be
enhanced, or the ways in which the principal could be assisted
with enhanced services, even such as UIs. This is just a bit
beyond a neutral TO, and also somewhat outside of SAMLv2.0's
scope (even with shades of the dashed-line controversy, for
a third/fourth time).

--Nick