Subject: Re: [security-services] Proposal: Query Extension for SAML AuthnReq

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Paul Madsen <paulmadsen@rogers.com> wrote:
> A thought. The possibility of embedding <RequestedAttribute> in an
> <AuthnRequest> might be seen as an 'enabler' of the current (to my mind)
> kludge of using attributes in an IDP-issued assertion to carry assurance.

It is a kludge, and this will make it easier, yes.  But really, what
choice do you have in deployments that support SAML V1.1 and V2.0?
The lowest common denominator is the attribute, which I think is why
you see this happening.

>  The existing inability of an SP to ask for particular 'assurance
> attributes' in its <AuthnRequest> would presumably be one driver for them to
> instead use <RequestedAuthnContext>?

You're assuming of course that LoA is only required by SAML V2.0
deployments, which of course isn't the case.

>  Should we give guidance against such an application of the new extension?

No, I would say not.  Even if the above points were not true, Sampo's
profile is not the place to "enforce" this practice.

Just my two cents worth,

Tom