Subject: Re: [security-services] SAML2 Holder-of-Key Assertion Profile

Tom

Thanks for uploading the draft and for the comments.

I have a question regarding the XML Signature reference, which may
result in a more general question.

Since SAML 2.0 has been standardized [1] the W3C has released a new
edition of XML Signature, the Second Edition [2]. This is a
maintenance release that incorporated errata, updated references, and
added XML Canonicalization 1.1 as a required algorithm, addressing
potential issues with xml:id and xml:ibase [3].

I note that the Holder-of-Key Assertion Profile draft references the
original XML Signature recommendation. Should it reference the Second
Edition? I would expect it to be compatible with both the first and
second editions of XML SIgnature.

The more general issue is whether the SSTC should note on its web
pages that SAML 2.0 should be compatible with XML Signature, Second
Edition.

>  Indeed, this is what we have in [XMLSig] yet everyone agrees that
> that's not adequate.

Do you mean is that the semantics and details regarding use of
ds:KeyInfo are not fully described in XML Signature, or did I
misinterpret what you are saying ?

> There's no way to extend [XMLSig] without introducing some process
> (at least, I don't see how to do it).

Are you asking about the process of improving XML Signature in
general, or about whether XML Signature schema has extension points?

Regarding the former, there is a new W3C XML Security Working Group
actively working on a new version of XML Signature. I encourage
bringing issues and requirements to that group [4], whose mailing
list is public [5]. There are a few members of the SSTC active in
that group. I  would like to understand any issues that you feel are
important related to XML Signature and make sure that they are known
to that Working Group.

Thanks

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch