Subject: Re: [security-services] SAML2 Holder-of-Key Assertion Profile

Hi Frederick,

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Frederick Hirsch
<frederick.hirsch@nokia.com> wrote:

> Since SAML 2.0 has been standardized [1] the W3C has released a new edition
> of XML Signature, the Second Edition [2]. This is a maintenance release that
> incorporated errata, updated references, and added XML Canonicalization 1.1
> as a required algorithm, addressing potential issues with xml:id and
> xml:ibase [3].

This is the first I've heard of [2], thanks for pointing that out.  I
just skimmed [2] and noticed the following differences relevant to the
profile we are discussing here: 1) [2] refers to RFC4514 in lieu of
RFC2253, and 2) the DN encoding rules have been overhauled.  The
latter, in particular, are very much appreciated!

> I note that the Holder-of-Key Assertion Profile draft references the
> original XML Signature recommendation. Should it reference the Second
> Edition? I would expect it to be compatible with both the first and second
> editions of XML SIgnature.

I will review {2] but my initial read suggests we should indeed refer
to it from here on out.  Thanks for the pointer!

>>  Indeed, this is what we have in [XMLSig] yet everyone agrees that that's
>> not adequate.
>
> Do you mean is that the semantics and details regarding use of ds:KeyInfo
> are not fully described in XML Signature, or did I misinterpret what you are
> saying ?

Exactly.  I wonder, is that by design?  Regardless, will this error of
omission be addressed in [4]?

>> There's no way to extend [XMLSig] without introducing some process (at
>> least, I don't see how to do it).
>
> Are you asking about the process of improving XML Signature in general, or
> about whether XML Signature schema has extension points?

Well, no, when I say "extend [XMLSig]," I'm talking about the missing
details regarding ds:KeyInfo as noted above.  Whether those details
can be specified without considering relevant use cases is still an
open question in my mind.  (Scott seems to think so.)

> Regarding the former, there is a new W3C XML Security Working Group actively
> working on a new version of XML Signature. I encourage bringing issues and
> requirements to that group [4], whose mailing list is public [5]. There are
> a few members of the SSTC active in that group. I  would like to understand
> any issues that you feel are important related to XML Signature and make
> sure that they are known to that Working Group.

Thank you, Frederick.  As you know, my primary interest is in
ds:KeyInfo as it relates to saml:SubjectConfirmation.  As we work
through the Holder-of-Key Assertion Profile, hopefully the issues and
the requirements will become clear.

Tom Scavo
NCSA