Subject: Re: [security-services] SAML simplesign useful in practice?

Well... I know that Orange in France has implemented simplesign and uses
it according to the spec. I don't know any data regarding usage. At AOL
we use the simplesign algorithm but since we use it for server-to-server
calls it's not fully spec compliant (note that simplesign is tied to the
use of a user-agent). Given that simplesign is based on just signing the
XML "string" we have seen partners use scripts (e.g. perl and ssh) to do
the signing and submit messages. Having a simple script that can do the
signing has proved useful in helping partners get the signature part
correct.

Good libraries in all the major development languages (including web
development like php, ruby, python, erlang, etc) and some simple command
line tools/scripts could probably mitigate the need for SimpleSign.  The
issue with libraries is that they have to be integrated into code, and
the library design can have an impact on how easy/hard that integration
is. So, being able to easily script the signing is pretty critical to
adoption.

Thinking out loud... if there was a command line utility that took an
XML document and it's XSD(s) and was able to construct the output XML
document with embedded signature (and the equivalent decode mech) this
might suffice for those environment where scripting is critical. Just
not sure how easy it would be to generate such a tool. I know that when
trying to get tooling libraries like xmlbeans or axis to build code,
just getting all the right XSDs in some place that the tooling can find
is tedious/complicated.

The purist in me would prefer to standardize on XMLdsig :) However,
seeing how many problems partners have had getting the signature right
(albeit once its figured out it doesn't tend to be a recurring problem),
the pragmatic in me is a little concerned that without the right tools
we won't able to on-board as many partners.

Thanks,
George