Subject: disposition of the HoK profiles

On yesterday's call, the SSTC voted draft-12 and draft-10 of the HoK
Web Browser SSO Profile and HoK Assertion Profile (resp.) to CD
status.  An electronic ballot to move the documents to CS status was
also approved.  Later on the call, it was agreed that the HoK
requirements of the new kerberos profiles should be integrated into
the HoK Assertion Profile.  I propose we reconcile these apparently
conflicting decisions in the follow way.

I suggest we conduct a CS ballot as agreed on the call.  If
successful, this will result in CS-01 documents that depend intimately
on one another.  In particular, the CS-01 version of the HoK Web
Browser SSO Profile will normatively reference the CS-01 version of
the HoK Assertion Profile.  In effect, the CS-01 version of the HoK
Web Browser SSO Profile is frozen based on the CS-01 version of the
HoK Assertion Profile, so the pair can be safely implemented without
fear of modification down the road.

We then turn around and immediately take the HoK Assertion Profile to
draft-11.  Thus begins the potentially long road to a CS-02 version of
the HoK Assertion Profile that includes the kerberos requirements.
These new requirements have no bearing on the HoK Web Browser SSO
Profile (as far as I can tell) so the fact that the latter is based on
the older CS-01 version of the HoK Assertion Profile is irrelevant.

I may be missing something but this seems like the best way to get the
HoK Web Browser SSO Profile out the door now without having to
implicitly depend on the successful completion of the kerberos
profiles.

Thoughts?

Tom