Subject: RE: [security-services] SAML enhancement proposal from NSN

Hi all,

I'll add some little structure so that my response keeps the
readability.

1. "New Protocol"

From a developers point of view, there definitely IS a difference
between "adding" a new SAML message consisting of already existing
building blocks or adding a completely new protocol with own bindings,
structures, processing rules, identifiers, and maybe even other
transports. With an extension to SAML (by adding the new message), the
already existing code can be reused.
And getting it deployed is not a so big effort: The SPs and IdPs have to
communicate to each other what they support anyway. If an IdP supports
the new SAML "messages", the SP can use them. If does not - it's ok,
too. If an SP does not support the AttributeManagement - it's not even a
problem, because then it just would not send them.
I do not think that the argument "that's too much work for me" is a good
reason for not doing something reasonable.

2. LDAP and update

LDAP is built on a tree-like directory structure. To be able to modify a
node, you of course have to know the structure of the directory (because
elsewise you would not be able to traverse it and specify *which* node
you want to modify).
Maybe, "update" is not completely enough and there exists a need for
"deleting" an attribute, you are right.
Nevertheless "update" is not a privacy risk, if the IdP defines proper
policies, which attributes can be modified by which service and for
which user. These policies have to be agreed on by the SP and IdP, of
course. But that's exactly the same as for the "read" - the
AttributeQuery.
If an IdP supports SP specific attibutes (which means: attributes that
are only visible to exactly one SP), it sure makes sense that the SP can
modify these attributes (they "belong" to him anyway).
By agreeing on possible values for each attributes, the privacy risk
gets eliminated. The IdP then has the task to check these values.

3. Partial errors

If there are some attributes that are logically bound to each other and
have to be updated in one transaction, they could be transmitted in one
message marking it as transactional. By returning the old values, it
gets obvious, that the transaction failed and there was an error. It
makes sense to send an error description in the
SAMLResponse-Status-Fields.

If the attributes are not logically bound and may fail or succeed one by
one, it is also enough to return the new (or old) values, because then
the SP is able to check which of the values have succeeded.
I do not see a burden here.

4. Sharing data, Authorization and concurent updates

If the updated attributes are SP specific, the attributes are neither
shared nor will exist a need to look at concurrent updates or
authorization besides the already existing one (that also applies to all
other SAML messages/protocols).
If a shared attributes shall be able to get updated by multiple SPs, the
IdP has to define and enforce his own policies (who can and who can
not). But that's also the same as for the "read" operation. (regarding
the authorization).
If we have a concurrent update: All databases lock a record before
updating it and unlock it afterwards. This way "concurrency" is
eliminated, because now the updates are always serialized and the later
one will override the previous one - that's standard behaviour.
One could now think about marking an attribute as "may not be modified
until..." - but then that's a policy that has to be enforced by the IdP
(because the database will not be able to do this). Nevertheless I can
not imagine a case, where this scenario can take place for a shared
attribute.

Common: If an IdP decides to support modifying the attributes, it will
have to implement the policies, etc. anyway - no matter of which
"protocol" is used. If this then results in poor implementation, it's a
pity for the company because they employed the wrong persons, but not a
reason for standardization to define a good idea or do it not. If that
was a reasonable argument, a lot of protocols would not exist. I assume,
a lot of WS-* protocols would not even exist, because if you look at the
internet forums, people complain that they are too complex for them. But
they DO exist, they work good and secure, because there are other
developers who can understand and deal with the specs.

Finally, as you wrote "The inability to implement good, uniform,
scalable
authz in directories is one of the drivers for SAML's existence, IMHO" -
i completely agree. And that's a major argument *for* introducing it to
SAML and not to use a different protocol.

-- Markus and Joerg