Subject: Minutes and Action Items from the SSTC Conference Call (3 Nov 2009)

SSTC Conference Call Minutes
November 3, 2009, 12:00pm ET

1)  Procedural: Quorum was achieved.  Thomas will modify the minutes
slightly to reflect that the votes taken did include updates of
designated cross-references for the Holder-of-Key specification moves
to Committee Draft, with no objections, and the minutes as such were
approved.  Prateek's slides were added to the agenda, as was the
planned Face-to-Face meeting for next year.

2)  Celebration was held for the XSPA SAML Standard for Healthcare,
which has been approved as an OASIS Standard.  Mike and David will be
speaking at RSA in March '10, including a little bit about the Standard.

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200911/msg00001.html

3)  All three of Scott's documents remain waiting for attestations
before they can proceed to OASIS Standard.  They won't pass CS state
unless these attestations are received, but they can remain as CS
indefinitely.  Scott suggested this item be removed from future agendas.

4)  The updated CD's for the Holder-of-Key profiles have been uploaded
by Tom Scavo, and they are now ready to go to balloting by the group
for approval as CS.  [AI] Hal will create the ballots.

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200911/msg00014.html

5)  Hal made an inquiry to Mary about whether we can remove a non-
normative appendix as part of an errata, but Mary would prefer that we
mark it as removed or non-operative.  She also noted that the SSTC's
communications with IANA should proceed through her.  As either Scott
or Bob comes up with the changes we'd like to propose for our MIME
type registration, we'll contact them through Mary, but there is no
rush since there's a minimum of six months before the next errata can
be issued.  We'll strike the appendix as soon as possible in
accordance with Mary's email.

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200911/msg00016.html

6)  The Jira process has been slowed down because there's a manual
issuance of usernames which are not integrated with the rest of OASIS'
systems.  A new individual is taking over the process, and there are
hopes this will be faster in the future.  We do have an instance, and
Scott was able to log into it.  [AI] He believes the chairs need to
assign access permissions, as he could only create issues.  He'd like
to see it used as a substitute for the errata working document in the
future.

7)  Discussion of the Kerberos holder-of-key profile work occurred.
XSD's should be uploaded alongside the main documents to Kavi, and
they're considered the main authority document.  Scott prefers to re-
upload a fresh copy of the XSD just to have it next to the documents
in the repository.  Anything that is part of a standard must be placed
into the official OASIS repository to ensure availability and
compliance with IPR rules.

There was less certainty about what an OASIS standard was able to
reference normatively, in particular whether a piece of a Kerberos
Holder-of-Key profile could be standardized through the Kerberos
consortium.

This arose because Josh couldn't find a way to do XML signing using a
Kerberos-based mechanism, and there's a window to get it included in
XML Signature 1.1.  Scott believes it can be done, but he doesn't know
the technical details.  Thomas and Scott will discuss whether there's
a need to go to the W3C directly, or whether something could be
published by the consortium.  [AI] Hal received an Action Item to
check into that.

8)  Bob wasn't on the call to discuss the Identity Assurance profile.

9)  Hal didn't check on the progress of the Delegation Condition
Extension profile, but he'll make sure we get it going on the next
call.  It was sent to Mary on 16 October.  She asked for corrections,
and Scott issued those corrections, which Mary suggested be placed in
the repository as CD-02, the same name.  He sent her the links and
that's the last he's heard, so we believe this will progress shortly.

10)  Hal's porting of the Work Summary to the wiki is "in progress."

11)  Anil says the CS version of the Text-based Challenge/Response
profile will be ready by next meeting.

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200911/msg00019.html

12)  Attribute Update functionality:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200911/msg00000.html

Nokia-Siemens had earlier suggested that we add attribute update
functionality to SAML.  Phil Hunt investigated the possibility and has
a high-level proposal that was formulated in a PowerPoint set that
they published yesterday.  They're building on the Nokia-Siemens use
cases, which are moving beyond single sign-on into the desire of
applications to be able to update attributes.  The slides have a
variety of use cases that are a little more complex than just set/get,
e.g. where a principal is added to a group, or values must be
manipulated.

There are different approaches, including some WSDL specs in ID-WSF;
the question really is whether this should become a first-order SAML
protocol, rather than exist as a protocol built around SAML in another
space.  The slide deck describes a full capability that would help
SAML move from single sign-on to full attribute exchange at a protocol
level.

Reporting, e.g. returning a set of information on a query, would be
desirous as well.  The scenario they think of is phone books, or
credential recovery, where the specific subject being searched for is
not known.

They also want to see a redirect capability, so if the IdP can't do
the update, but knows a service that can do the update, the requester
can be redirected to that service.  A managed subject request, where
subjects are added or modified, is another feature.  There is no
additional delete because they believe the ManageNameIDRequest
terminate function will suffice for that need.

They see this as a stepping stone towards ID-WSF, which can handle
discovery and routing to many providers at a higher level of
functionality, but the limited adoption of ID-WSF is a drawback for
them.  SAML might also be able to offer greater simplicity to use of
ID-WSF or any other suite of standards.

Phil also thinks that, in a federated environment, governance needs to
be more strongly documented.  This includes some of the work Liberty/
Kantara did on privacy constraints that accompany data.  He would like
to see the trust information layered in a privacy constraints added to
requests and responses.  The payload is small normally, generally as
just a CARML declaration, which is relatively lightweight because most
of the information is static.  The goal is to allow a provider to use
this data for access controls.  Dynamic constraints could also be
used, such as, "I'm allowing my Social Security Number to be
exchanged, but you're not permitted to send it on further."  These
could also be WS-Policy rules documenting business-level constraints
that need to be documented in the transaction, which are very
different from the protocol-level constraints we've dealt with to date.

Prateek would like to continue the dialog and get feedback on what the
SSTC believes are appropriate next steps.  They would also propose to
try to put together a draft with some of these messages combining
Phil's proposal with Nokia-Siemens' proposal and publish it to the
SSTC as a draft submission.

Scott holds that profiling ID-WSF is a lot more fruitful than coming
up with a new stack of standards, believing things like the messaging
model, security framework, and discovery are orthogonal in ID-WSF and
can be easily chopped out.  He thinks updates will immediately run
into ways of needing to represent the user's role in the transaction,
ensuring they can be a participant in such a transaction; he doesn't
think cart-blanche allowing services to do anything they want to a set
of data is permissible.  This requires a much richer security
framework than server-to-server security, but can be facilitated by ID-
WSF.

Prateek says that in many of their use cases, user involvement is not
essential, though he can see that there's a natural set of use cases
where users granting some form of delegated rights is important.  Phil
wonders whether it's possible to build the core protocol work of the
other operations to SAML, then allow things like ID-WSF actually build
on top of that effort to provide things like the user involvement.

Scott agrees there's some duplication between SAML and ID-WSF, but the
separate layer is how exchanges are secured, particularly over a SOAP
binding.  In ID-WSF, those are all over the SOAP security layer, which
has minimal adoption and problems.  The alternative, though, is
reinvention of a different secure messaging framework on which to
layer the exchanges, which doesn't appeal to Scott very much.

The key question is scoping and drawing the boundary to determine
which problems people need to address.  Since Scott sees people trying
to address similar problems using e.g. OAuth supporting user
involvement, he thinks we need to ensure that what we build is at
least that capable.

It's also a sufficiently large piece of work in Scott's mind that it
needs several participants involved to justify all effort, so he'd
like to see many vendors and interested parties working with it.
Scott thinks this is easily as much work as SAML 1.0, and Phil shares
those concerns.

We'll approve this as a work item today, but we need to agree on the
scope and develop sufficient participation to get this going
somewhere.  A paper spec is not the objective.

[AI] Nokia-Siemens and Oracle will consult with one another, and will
develop a working draft or a proposal that captures some of the use
cases of interest and circulate that informally.  But to make progress
beyond that, they would need to recruit some more people and add
clarity about scope and forward direction, and the relationship to ID-
WSF would need to be carefully explored.  They'll report back on their
discussions on the next call.

13) Face-to-Face meetings have been held on an as-needed basis, and if
there are some good materials for discussion that would make a meeting
valuable, we may recruit hosts and determine some dates.  The
attribute management protocol may be sufficient motive to have one, so
long as we can get a reasonable number of people together.

There are no OASIS annual conferences to attach such a face-to-face
to.  It could be done in conjunction with another Identity Management
industry event, but our experience is that if you go to a corporation,
they have good white boards, speakerphones, and meeting rooms, and
it's far cheaper than using bad infrastructure at a hotel.

The chairs are open to offers to host such an event, if the hosts have
topics they would like discussed.

Next meeting will be on November 17, 2009.

ACTION ITEMS:

[AI] Hal will create the ballots.

[AI] Thomas and Hal will investigate the assignment of permissions
within the SSTC Jira instance.

[AI] Hal will check the rules for normative references in
specifications issued by the SSTC; particularly, whether they can
reference standards issued by e.g. the Kerberos Consortium.

[AI] Nokia-Siemens and Oracle will consult with one another about next
steps for an attribute management protocol, and will develop a working
draft or a proposal that captures some of the use cases of interest
and circulate it.