Subject: Re: [security-services] Question about the HoK Web Broswer SSO Profile

Hal,

I wrote a pretty extensive paragraph representing my view of the
applicability and advantages of the profile into its abstract or
introduction in the earlier drafts.  It's been torn apart into little
pieces by now, but here's an earlier edition that basically matches
what Scott says:

This profile allows for transport and validation of holder-of-key
assertions by standard HTTP user
agents with no modification of client software and maximum
compatibility with existing
deployments. Most of the flows are as in standard Web Browser SSO, but
an X.509 certificate
presented by the user agent supplies a valid keypair through client
TLS authentication for HTTP
transactions. Cryptographic data resulting from TLS authentication is
used for holder-of-key
validation of a SAML assertion. This strengthens the assurance of the
resulting authentication
context and protects against credential theft, giving the service
provider fresh authentication and
attribute information without requiring it to perform successful
validation of the certificate.

Take care,
Nate.