Subject: RE: [security-services] Re: Proposed Agenda for SSTC Call (May 18, 2010)

Hi,

I agreed that AuthnRequest is better suit than Response.

Also, there is a use case where target IdP may required to initiate
account linking,  because the SAML federate pseudonum identifier may not
applicable to telco enviroment.  Thus, I prefer that the
<ManageSubjectRequest/Response><AddSubject> can be initiated by either
SP or target IdP for account linking during SSO authentication.

Thinh.

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Phil Hunt [mailto:phil.hunt@oracle.com]
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2010 2:10 PM
To: Scott Cantor
Cc: 'Nate Klingenstein'; 'OASIS SSTC'
Subject: Re: [security-services] Re: Proposed Agenda for SSTC Call (May
18, 2010)

With regards to Tuesday's proposal, while the SP would prefer the
Target to respond, I can see scenarios where the user might not be
able to respond immediately. For example the Target may want to do an
email confirmation verification.  That means that Step 8 may happen at
a later time when using a <Response> flow.

If the TargetIDP is unable to respond with an immediate
authentication, we would say that the process ends at step 7 and the
SP may want to flag the account for deprovisioning. That might get
triggered as a separate process once the user authenticates in the
normal process via the TargetIDP, the SP could begin their de-
provision process.

With regards to using AuthnRequest extended for step 6. I can see the
reasoning, but I wonder about going back to the original proposal of a
completely new operation <ManageSubjectRequest><AddSubject>.  However
instead of the original proposal, I would change AddSubject to match
the AuthNRequest plus needed extensions to address the issue of
transferring a user. That way it has all of the advantages of the
proven AuthnRequest/response profiles, but with the ability to control
result flows a bit more.

There may be a couple advantages to a new operation:
* It keeps the operation obvious and distinct from authentication
* It would have the same "name" whether online or offline mode
* the operation is defined in a new namespace. So existing definitions
are not touched/modified in potentially unexpected ways.

Finally in <ManageSubjectResponse>, we can also allow for different
results.  Such as request complete/pending/incomplete.  The advantage
being the Target IDP doesn't have to authenticate the user immediately
and transfer its own <Response> back to the SP.

Using ManageSubjectRequest/Response may have an advantage because it
doesn't require the Target IDP to complete an authentication when it
might not be ready to do so while still allowing it to say "I've
accepted your provisioning request".  The SP can then proceed with de-
provisioning without worrying about a lost user or duplicate user
problem.

Phil
phil.hunt@oracle.com