Subject: Re: [security-services] Comments on Change Notify

So, Phil and I had a nice call yesterday and I just wanted to send the
results.

I think I agree with the general form of the protocol.  I believe there
needs to be some:
- Clear, expository, non-normative text added to the introduction to
better make the case for the protocol
- Clear text added to the description of the new/modify/retire messages
to indicates that the new/modify/retire'ed "state" of the subject is
just the issuer hinting what it thinks the current state is.  It does
not reflect anything about the expected state at the target.

One question that Phil asked me is whether I thought the document should
go forward to a committee draft or stay at a working draft until some
more details get worked out.  My opinion is that as long as it is
possible to make substantive/behavioral changes to the protocol while
the document is in committee draft mode then it is fine to move forward.
  If that is not possible then it should stay as a working draft until
some more items can ironed out.

I also told Phil that I'd take on a few action items:
- provide any editorial comments that I can with an eye towards cleaning
up some of the led to me drawing some incorrect conclusion about the
protocol
- review the document with an eye towards how this protocol might
operate in an environment with a large number issuers and targets and
seemingly dynamic relationships (a.k.a. the education and research
federation environment).
- offer a couple of additional uses cases, from the aforementioned E&R
environment, that can be included in the document in order to help
elucidate some possible usage and flows of the protocol

It'll probably take me a month or so to get all of those items done.