Subject: Re: [security-services] Please review PE-16 text

On 1/10/12 11:48 AM, "John Bradley" <ve7jtb@ve7jtb.com> wrote:

>Hi Scott,
>In some cases such as SP-800-63 LoA 3 where non-repudiation is required,
>signing the message is probably not enough.

Yes, but we're not tasked to address issues of non-repudiation that arise
from other requirements, we just have to secure our profiles.

>Given that it is current practice win the FICAM and other profiles to
>sign then encrypt POST responses we may want to be more explicit that you
>MUST sign the POST message, if the assertion is CBC encrypted.
>Even if the encrypted assertion is already signed.

We can't add MUSTS, this is an errata. A separate conversation is whether
we should consider making normative changes if we publish a 2.0.1 refresh
of the standard, but I think that's going to be problematic too.

Other profiles on top of SAML are of course able to dictate new MUSTS for
things that are SHOULD or MAY in the standard.

>I suspect that people may read:
>Either the <Response> (or the <Assertion> element(s) in the <Response>)
>MUST be signed
>
>To allow just signing inside the encryption.

Absent the issues with encryption, that remains the official profile
requirement, and we can't change that in errata.

But the new language is explicitly saying that there are concerns about
doing that. I agree with you that the new language doesn't explicitly say
that you should sign *both*, because that isn't actually a SAML profile
requirement. I don't think it discourages signing both though.