Subject: Re: Okay to update file names to saml-x instead of sstc-saml-x ??

Hi Scott and all,

see answers in-line below..

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Cantor, Scott <cantor.2@osu.edu> wrote:
On 5/17/13 4:50 PM, "Paul Knight" <paul.knight@oasis-open.org> wrote:
>Is there any objection to modifying the file names to match the more
>modern style?

No, except...

>I note that the schema file for "channel-binding" contains a
>self-referential line in the "documentation" element:
>Document identifier: sstc-saml-channel-binding-ext-v1.0.xsd
>which would need to be modified in a future stage of publication.

I don't know what's involved in that. If it's a simple matter of adding a
comment to the request form for producing the eventual CS version, I have
no problem with that.
Since the schema file will be in a subdirectory /xsd, it doesn't really NEED to be re-named to match the Work Product file names.  In fact, this approach was used in publishing "SAML V2.0 Kerberos Web Browser SSO Profile Version 1.0", where the schema still retains the "sstc-" prefix. (see [1])  I will plan to use that model for the initial publications (CSD01/CSPRD01) for these two Work Products.

To change the schema file names for the CS version, (or any version after this one), the TC Editor (you) would simply make the change to the file name and the internal self-reference, and include the updated files in the ZIP file when the Work Product is submitted for its next publication as a Committee Specification Draft (CSD) and likely Public Review (CSPRD).

While the file name change could also be accomplished by going directly to a CS with "non-material changes", some reviewers might argue that changing the name of a schema file is not a "non-material change"...  and in any case it is likely that the TC will publish another CSD/CSPRD iteration before going to CS, and that would be a better time to make the change.

To summarize:
- What I'll do:  I'll plan to publish the prose document files for the two Work Products using the "modern" file naming (saml-x instead of sstc-saml-x), but will leave the schema file names unchanged - any change to the schema file names will be up to you and the TC in future publications.

- What you should do: Change the next Working Draft file name for the prose documents to eliminate the "sstc-" prefix.  Optionally, change the associated schema file name in a similar fashion, and modify its internal self-reference to match that change.

Please let me know if anything here is not clear...  In the meantime, I'll proceed with the publication.

Best regards,
Paul

[1] http://docs.oasis-open.org/security/saml/Post2.0/saml-kerberos-browser-sso/v1.0/cs01/xsd/

Since there are a ton of SAML specs all with different conventions, I'm
not sure how valuable the consistency really is now.

The main value is simplicity going forward, so (hopefully) neither the TC nor TC Administration will need to spend much time on the file naming (as in this conversation.. :^)  )..  We'll have a stable pattern to follow.

Paul Knight  - Tel: +1 781-861-1013
OASIS - Advancing open standards for the information society
Document Process Analyst