Subject: Thematic Profiles

Okay, so here is my first pass of identifying "themes" and what might go into them.

Authentication: SSO, ECP, IdP Discovery, SP Request Init, intro to AuthnContext
Delegated Authn: mostly just exposition on how to do this, delegation restriction extension
Attributes: Attribute query (maybe include a "ReST"-based mech), Basic Attribute Profile (other attribute profiles should be split out as separate docs)
Session Management: Logout, Async Logout, Hal's Session Token Profile?
Artifact: Artifact query, maybe include a "ReST"-based mech
Account Management: NameID management, NameID mapping, Account Linking (just exposition on how to do this with the protocol)
Assertion Query (this probably should just go away but I assume we have to keep it around for compatibility)

As I think about this more, I like the way this could work out.  I think these documents should probably cover the following:
- Non-normative: context/use-case we're trying to address.  Try to be very clear about what this does and doesn't do.
- Normative: Specification of elements, message processing, and use of metadata
- Non-normative: implementation notes/consideration/recommendations

Now, one question I have about this theme list, is whether "Authentication" is too broad.  Should we break it down into Browser-based SSO and Non-browser?  At their core, these aren't that different but conceptually they are pretty different and I think the implementation notes, in particular, are probably quite different.  So, to me, it feels like these should be separate docs.

Thoughts, questions, comments?

Chad La Joie | Dev Manager, Identity Management
m: 734.531.9087 | e: chad.lajoie@covisint.com