Subject: Re: Dutch eID Preso follow up. RE: Proposed Minutes for SSTC Call (Nov 25, 2014)

<< In New Zealand, AuthnContext was used to achieve use cases similar to the ones presented by the Netherlands.  The Kantara Initiative has published a specification.
Numerous questions posed both by the presenters and the SSTC remain to be answered.  The SSTC is interested in actively pursuing further conversation around profiling this use case because it is arising repeatedly and we'd like to encourage a consistent approach.>>

Hi there.

I wanted to follow up on this, lest it gets forgotten in the subsequent discussions on the 'multiple value types' thread.

Dutch eID looks similar in scope and goals to NZ's RealMe, but implementation pieces (and patterns) are different from RealMe.

As I said on the call we attempted to publish some of this thinking. Note that some of these docs are draft, aging, or both... :-)
http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/eGov/Outside+Contributions?src=contextnavchildmode

Another fly-past to give you a sense of it, might be to look at this (admittedly pretty messy) preso to technical folks internally, attached (not mine! I am not the solution architect here!)

First difference: RealMe uses HTTP redirect binding for SP request , whereas Dutch eID is using Artifact Binding.  We use the Artifact binding for the response, I think, because at the time (2005/6) we felt that not enough was known about HTTP POST how to mitigate risks at the SPs, and whether our SPs would do the security job we wanted of them.. :-)
You can see this here in the two Messaging Specifications on the link above:

Second difference: From broker to  attribute provider, RealMe uses Attribute Query Profile - looks like Dutch are using something like a websso profile?.  The consent is captured at AP than broker?
You can see Attribute Query in the spec above.

As per Michiel's comment on the call, NZ RealMe faced the same issues in SAML not having an equivalent HTTP/browser based profile for the SAMLv2.0 Attribute Query Profile.
NZ Privacy law meant that the user needed to consent to the release of attributes in the flow/in the session, which was why we wanted the request browser based.

I don't think we published anything specific on this, but what we did in the end was use HTTP AuthnRequest to put the 'attribute query' in.
That's OK and there is metadata to support it.
But then we got into the static vs dynamic conundrum. So it works fine for a basic use case with one or two  'pre-known' attribute queries.
But when different SPs want different attributes/sets, due to the changing circumstances of what attributes they have already, the risk of the transaction etc ....  that was harder.
Memory is fading re this, but all I am trying to point out here, is that a browser based request for attribute query is a legitimate option (in support of Scott's comment on the call).

Happy holidays you folks in the US..which means you should not be reading this! :-)

Cheers
Colin