Subject: RE: ISSUE[UC-5-01:AuthCProtocol]

Dave makes a very good point about non-goals serving useful
purposes such as demonstrating we have considered things
that are not in the final output. I agree with this.

My reason for wanting positive requirements are as outlined by
Hal. They serve as very clear statements of focus.

As to whether Challenge-Response should be listed as a non goal,
I agree with Hal. My vision of how assertions will work is that
they will carry around information about how entities have authenticated.
(At least those assertions that are concerned with authentication.)

I does not seem too onerous to define lots of methods. It also doesn't
mean all conforming implementations have to support all authentication
schemes. If a principal authenticates at a site A, using scheme X, site
A could create an assertion and make that available to site B. Site B could
understand this assertion without itself directly supporting authentication
scheme X.

Also I believe we should allow for extensibility, so that new types
can be added if a deployment requires it (another requirement ;-)).

Nigel