Subject: Group 5 summary to Oasis TC

Folks,

I plan to submit the following summary to Darren and thence to
the Oasis TC. Send me your comments (soon).
---

The Use-Case group has voted (UC-5:-03) against the direct
use of SAML for authentication. SAML should not model or
express one or more authentication methods or a framework
for authentication.

However, SAML must somehow connect with a variety of existing
and future authentication engines. It must provide sufficient vocabulary
to make this connection. Currently, there is a lack of a model for this
connection (terminology, information flow). As a result there is some
continuing discussion and a lack of consensus on an exact characterization
of the components of the "connection" that need to be included within
SAML.