Subject: RE: PROPOSED TEXT: Issue Group 11: Authorization Use Case

I'd be really interested in a straw poll on issue 11-01.  Anybody care to
comment?

I can really see the utility of this, though I can also see how it could
really complicate the SAML spec given the SSO specs, especially for
conformance.  My biggest concern is that say a vendor implements use case
#1, but not use case #2.  Are they SAML compliant?  What about the converse?
These 2 use cases seem quite orthogonal to me.

I had some early thoughts on "profiles" of SAML conformance, such that
SAMLauthn was SSO and SAMLAuthz.  Or like DOM levels.  Authn is level 1 and
Authz is Level 2.  But I haven't really thought this through.

One of the key determiners of success/failure of specs is the number of
"optional" components/encodings.  This has even caused tremendous problem in
XML, which has only 2 levels of conformance - well-formed and valid.  There
are many different states between these though.  Such as a well formed XML
document with entities that has a DTD but the DTD hasn't been found so
entity replacement hasn't occured.  This is well-formed, but incorrect from
the author's perspective.  Internal subsets are another sore point.  My
point on this is that even something that has 2 cleanly separated levels of
conformance has problems on conformance.

I think I'm tossing between a "drop" or a "concur" position, that is if over
50% are in favour, my vote should be in favour.  Distinct from an Abstain
which is a "sit on the fence" position and might mean quorum isn't reached.

Cheers,
Dave