semantic-ex message

Subject: RE: [See] RE: [semantic-ex] SEE Frequently Asked Questions

Hi Zachary,

It does mention UDDI, but this particular sentence has been including just
for illustrative purpose to show what is possible with existing WS
technologies (but you are right, I could extend it a little bit and relate
it more to existing work in OASIS). We definitely consider getting much
insight into existing work of other committees (like ebXML reg/rep) and that
fact has been already included in our charter. At the same time if you will
take a look into our initial FAQ, you will notice that we are saying that
components themselves remains outside of scope of work of this committee. We
are interested in an entire SWS infrastructure, its execution semantics, its
API, but not components themselves (this work is already going on in other
committees and in many other projects so no point of duplicating it).

> *	Do you anticipate using an established software architecture
> framework like TOGAF or the US FEA framework?
Not at this stage. I will take a look.

> *	Has there been any thought given to creating an ontology-base
> architecture description language?
We think this is a very good idea. If I understood correctly this is exactly
what we were talking months ago, when we said that we would need an ontology
describing WSMX (including the architecture). I wouldn't call it though
"language" but just an ontology that would describe the main architectural
elements of SEE

> *	Why is there a need for Mediators in the Web Services Modeling
> Ontology? IMHO: It would seem that a generic concept like Mediator would
> add ambiguity to the ontology. If the ontology is internally consistent
> why would it need to know that there are external adaptors which
> facilitate non-standard communication?
First, let's clarify some terminology aspects (I am not sure it is
necessary, but just to be sure) that could be misleading. WSMO is a
meta-ontology that defines how web services, goals, mediators and
*ontologies* (i.e. domain ontologies) should look like.

So, when you build your own domain ontology you might need to use mediators
to get to this internally consistent state. For example you need to do this
when you want to reuse other ontologies that models aspects of the domain
you are interested in.

In addition the mediators can be used not only to create an internally
consistent domain model but also to enable interoperability (e.g.
communication) between various partners that have different models of the
domain (e.g. another WSMO compliant ontology). The mediation could be
applied on data level as well as on process and protocol level.
Having these mediators mentioned explicitly in the model allows for loose
coupling between WSMO elements, reusability, and in general great
flexibility.

Michal