set message

Subject: Re: [set] Groups - iSURF use case with CAM/SET/OWL dictionary approach(20090121SET-TC-2.ppt) uploaded

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your slides; they are very interesting. Correct us if we are
wrong but here is what we gathered:
You propose to create a Master Dictionary from the UIDs of elements in the
document schemas. A part of the Master Dictionary can be constructed
automatically by using the CAM Tools, but the rest of the dictionary
requires
human intervention (i.e. need to be matched manually). By aligning the
dictionary of the
individual standards with the Master Dictionary will definitely
enhance match percentage.

In our tools, we use semantics of the document elements and find the
relations between them automatically by using the reasoner and rule
engine. Please note that we do not include the "Property Terms" of
the elements into the semantics that we use, because
these terms differ a lot among different standards. However, this lead
to some false positives in the discovered matchings. In order to reduce
the number of false positivies, we use a string matching
algorithm (described in the following paper) between the property terms of
the elements:

"A String Metric for Ontology Alignment"
G Stoilos, G Stamou, S Kollias - LECTURE NOTES IN COMPUTER SCIENCE, 2005 -
Springer

The algorithm used in the paper finds the similarity between two string
terms. We use this similarity value to rank the results found by the
reasoner and rule engine, and let the user to select the correct result.

As you have also described in your slides, your idea is very useful in
this direction. The
dictionary approach can be used both to decrease the number of false
positives and to enhance the match percentage. Furthermore, we think that
when discovering the matchings between the UIDs, you use
exact match (Slide number 18). It seems you can use the algorithm described
in the above paper to enhance the matchings.

Thanks again for your contributions and look forward to hearing your
presentation.

Best regards,

Yildiray & Asuman