smartgrid-discuss message

Subject: Re: [smartgrid-discuss] OpenADR, SmartGrid Information Models anda Proposal

[Apologies for editing the extremely long thread; I needed to focus].

Not being an "insider" (I have no energy-sector background) and not
knowing the work accomplished by the many forums and groups already
involved in this effort, I would recommend that an OASIS Technical
Committee (TC) be formed to do the following:

1) Identify transactions that will be executed within these systems
    (which will automatically identify the actors and the sub-systems
    to which they naturally belong);

2) As a sufficient number of transactions that comprise a sub-system
    are identified, a Sub-Committee (SC), or a new TC, is spun-off to
    define the messaging-layer for those transactions; and

3) Each SC/TC creates a specification that can become a potential
    OASIS standard, resulting in a protocol that can be used for
    making higher-level service requests and responses.

While it may be more useful for software developers to have a full
data-model, this is not required for an open-system.  As long as the
messaging layer is known and standardized, vendors can choose to
innovate on top of that, while allowing buyers of their systems to
inter-operate with others that use the same protocol.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.