smartgrid-discuss message

Subject: RE: [smartgrid-discuss] What Standards do we need for the Smart Grid

I like free standards as much as anyone, but I have no problem for standards that you have to pay for.  Standards development is hard work and I respect those organizations who have put in place the necessary governance and systems to manage the process.

I have spent years of my career working on the IEC 61850 family of standards.  That standard and a cousin - 61968/61970 - is/are cornerstone standards for utility automation.  These like any other standard should be evaluated on its merits, its ability to meet application requirements, and the value their implementation provides.  They should not be evaluated on the cost of the standard.   I donate thousands of dollars a year of my time to standards development - maybe even tens of thousands of dollars.  Projects that I apply those standards to have budgets of hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars.  I have a hard time getting concerned about spending a few hundred dollars on an important standard.  And of course, if you participate in the development of one, you get a copy of it for free - a good incentive.

There are very good and bad standards both free and for fee.

Check out my smart grid standards landscape white paper at http://osgug.ucaiug.org/Shared%20Documents - its free :)

Erich

From: Michaela Barnes [mailto:michaela.barnes@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 3:59 PM
To: Toby Considine
Cc: smartgrid-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org

There are a number of standards groups that do not charge to view their standards: IETF, W3C, ECMA, OMA, IEEE,  ETSI  and OASIS (Toby's favorite) come to mind. And, sometimes the process goes through a non-paid organization (say IEEE Computer Socicety) which is not paid, gets recognized by an organization that does charge...so you get to pick which version you want to use, when much of the time they are the same thing just with different approvals, numbers, and cover pages.

Michaela