soa-blueprints message

Subject: RE: [soa-blueprints] To Proceed

[Jones, Steve G]
Architect companies should do but the
http://www.urban75.org/london/millennium.html millennium bridge placed the
blame on the engineers.  I was thinking more about the "name" architects on
the pieces who are often working more on paper than in CAD and pass it on to
the underlings to make it actually happen.

> The real point, I think, is those intermediate documents that you refer to
> are architectural documents that belong to a reference architecture, not a
> blueprint which deals with an implementation.
[Jones, Steve G]

I'm not sure on this as a reference architecture to me (I'm liable to be
wrong though!) defines the general terms and areas and outline that are
applicable in all cases
(http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/2774.html "A
reference architecture is a resource containing a consistent set of
architectural best practices for use by all the teams") whereas a blueprint
is aimed at the specific challenge being addressed and may use a reference
architecture during the process from idea to implementation.  A blueprint
for a solution needs to start from the point of the idea and evolve towards
the final solution bringing in all of the relevant elements.

So a blueprint has to include (at minimum)

1) Business Goals & Services
2) Governance
3) Conceptual architecture->Physical
4) Operation

Where as a Reference Architecture (IMO) sits in number 3 only and doesn't
have to be domain specific.

There is definitely a grey/gray area around Blueprint v RA in number 3, but
I don't think an RA would look at the other elements.

> Implementation means getting
> vendor specific which I think is something the TC wants to avoid. We might
> want to come up with reference architectures, or concrete architectures
> which then could be implemented with a specific vendors technology (as
> with
> Generico).
[Jones, Steve G]

I'd definitely disagree that implementation means getting vendor specific
from a blueprint perspective.  If you are working at the Business end of SOA
(rather than the technical end), even things like SAP's blueprinting process
using Solution Maps
(http://www.sap.com/solutions/businessmaps/solutionmaps/index.epx) doesn't
have to be vendor specific (but it does say where SAP can help).  SOA
Adoption Blueprints could definitely be domain specific however (e.g. the
manufacturing services in a 4PL could be different to those in a discreet
manufacturer, even if the external service is the same.).  I've done SOA
blueprints (finished one yesterday) that provide a 3 year business service
architecture as a target for evolution, so the vendor specific element comes
next and will evolve towards the business service architecture.

Part of the challenge here is a similar question that came up in the SOA RM
group about whether SOA is just about technology, the RM is pretty clear
that SOA can be considered as broader than that.

> But call it a blueprint, or a reference architecture, we still have to
> decide the domain of discourse. In other words, we have to decide what
> types of documents we want, and why we want them.
[Jones, Steve G]

Definitely, and a big part could be semantics.  First question is whether
there is one domain in the adoption of SOA, layers in one domain or clearly
separated domains (services?!) that have dependencies and impacts.

> I am not sure how one goes about doing that.
[Jones, Steve G]

Knife fights are always an interesting and fairly definitive solution...