Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Views and viewpoints

The distinction between a view and viewpoint is not
all that clear to me.  The concept of a view and
viewpoint is not consistent between RM-ODP, DODAF, UML
2.0 Views, etc.   I would like to nail down what the
SOA RA means by viewpoint and view.

The SOA RA refers to the ANSI/IEEE std 1471-2000 for
definitions of a view and a viewpoint.

View - A representation of the whole system from the
perspective of a related set of concerns.

Viewpoint - A specification of the conventions for
constructing and using a view.  A pattern or template
to develop individual views by establishing the
purposes and audience for a view and the techniques
for its creation and analysis.

For each top level view (Service as business, Service,
Security, etc.) do we have a viewpoint specification?
It looks like we are leaning towards a view having a
viewpoint and a view being composed of one or more
models.

Danny