Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Governance Paper

If we go back to the August 17 email summarizing the RA ftf, it focuses on the general philosophy of what governance means in a SOA context and how it will likely evolve rather than just being mandated.  The current article then gets to some specifics that would hopefully be consistent with the philosophy.

A couple things to note:

- The functional view depends on a visible, high-level champion.  While this is useful, it is also brittle.  Unless the community sees value beyond the exhortations of the champion, the object of the cheering will fade as soon as the champion moves on.

- I usually feel that the idea of build time vs. runtime is over-emphasized in most cases (e.g. for discovery) but I agree with Anil's dividing the technical aspect this way.  Now the question is to what extent governance helps to define the framework vs. trying to lock in low-level specifics.  This will be very important, but I am not yet sure what we have useful to say about that.

- Much of the Five Views is what we moved to management instead of governance.  Recall from the summary email, "governance reflects what some authority wants to happen, e.g. policies, and management provides the details and mechanisms by which policy becomes reality".  A governance board may mandate policy but it is someone on the ground that makes it happen.

- A third aspect in the article goes untitled but is testing.  The "specification team" probably doesn't want to test every use but do we want to take a position on the spec team/service provider providing a test suite against which someone using the service can test their mechanisms for use?  Someone using a service will also have to devise and perform their own local tests.  Finally, there needs to be ongoing monitoring, possibly at the infrastructure level.  Does someone have responsibility for the testing section?

Ken