Subject: The meaning of governance

I sat through 4 hrs of webinar yesterday listening to Progress, BEA, IBM, and Mercury tell me everything I needed to know about SOA governance.  The good news (from my perspective) was the blurring of the build time vs. runtime distinction.  The problem was that the latter three presenters discussed the mechanisms (mostly management) an enterprise needs to put in place to wave and enforce the SOA flag.  I submitted several questions asking how these approaches and the associated product offerings work across enterprise, i.e. ownership, boundaries but the questions didn't make it to the speakers.  (We'll see if I get any follow-up responses.)

So we get back to the roots of our earlier discussion during the summer ftf as we ask what does governance mean for interactions across ownership boundaries -- a question that for the most part does not even seem to be on people's radar screen.

We can add this to the list of continuing challenges for next week's ftf.

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934

7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379