Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] UML Class vs. UML Component

Michael hasa very valid point.  To understand the differences,

" The component diagram's main purpose is to show the structural
relationships between the components of a system."

Component - http://www.agilemodeling.com/artifacts/componentDiagram.htm ;
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/dec04/bell/

Class - http://www.agilemodeling.com/artifacts/classDiagram.htm

Not for all diagrams but surely some might be best suited for Comp view.

Duane

On 7/26/07 7:31 AM, "michael.poulin@uk.fid-intl.com"
<michael.poulin@uk.fid-intl.com> wrote:

> In the Table 1, section 1.7 of Version 0.2, Modelling Techniques Viewpoints
> are defined as UML Class diagrams.
>
> May I ask why Class diagrams are depicted there  instead of UML Component
> diagrams? A Class is associated with the lowest level OO entity  and usually
> associated with particular implementation while a Component is viewed as
> composite abstraction of implementation, moreover, associated with certain
> interfaces.
>
> I think that UML Component diagrams are more adequate to the level of
> abstraction used in SOA RA.
>
> - Michael

"Speaking only for myself"
Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com