Subject: Re: first complete draft of SOA testing

Bob,

Happy New Years back atcha.

Thanks for your quick comments.  Here are some thoughts:

re mockup, I understand your concern and have some of it myself.
Traditionally, mockups were for visual effects and less functional,
although I believe car mockups are used for wind tunnel testing.  I
have seen use of mockup in service discussions as something more on
the functional end.  This may be a case of evolving terminology or
just sloppy use.  It deserves more attention.

The write-up is ecosystem heavy, and I may be overreacting to a lot of
the SOA literature that is sealed in the enterprise like my swimming
pool of sea water.  I want an ecosystem emphasis but it must also be
relevant to the enterprise.  That will get attention too.

On the question of continuous testing vs. waterfall, I'll need to
reread because I thought I emphasized this as a major point.  It was
certainly intended.

I'll let this sit a couple days, get a few more comments and then
start to revise.

Thanks again,

Ken

On Jan 6, 2009, at 7:48 AM, Ellinger, Robert wrote:

> Ken:
>
> From a quick read I have three concerns.  But, first Happy New Year,
> and
> this is a good start. Now:
>
> First, is your use of the term mock up.  In aircraft, cars, and
> industrial products, mockups are used as part of an early evaluation
> of
> the conceptual design of a product and does not have great fidelity
> with
> the actual product.  And typically, mockups are of the product not the
> context.  If I remember correctly, in modeling, a simulation of the
> "test" environment is termed the simulandum (sp?).  The term mockup as
> you use it in this section, "jars my eye teeth."
>
> Second, this section reeks of ecosystem SOA testing only.  While
> that is
> unique and new, I suspect that there will be many more business or
> organizational critical enterprise SOAs initially, than ecosystem SOAs
> and there is plenty of testing of services with respect to the
> business
> processes that will need to be performed, which is also unique and
> new.
>
> Third, this section implies a waterfall development process.  I think
> that in service/composite application lifecycle of the future, testing
> will continue through the entire lifecycle, not just during
> implementation.  This didn't jump out at me, though it may be buried
> in
> the text.
>
> Just my two cents to try to help.
>
> Bob

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305      phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                         fax:       703-983-1379