Subject: A few thoughtlets

Some thoughts which may or may not be useful.

As we all know, the scientific method proceeds somewhat as follows:
1. Observe the real world in some domain
2. Form axioms, which we assume to be true and valid, about that domain
3. Use these axioms to form a mental structure or hypothesis
4. Addition axioms, which may be extracted from former axioms, may be
needed to complete the mental structure
5. When done, we have a theory
6. Test the theory to see if it fits the real world and meets the goals
of the theory
7. If it doesn't modify the theory
8. No amount of experimentation can prove a theory correct, but one
experiment can prove it wrong (Einstein)

Our reference architecture has proceeded to step 5, i.e. we have
developed a theory about how an SOA system can or should be developed
and used.  Testing the theory will involve its being used to develop
concrete architectures and then those being used to develop SOA systems;
this theory's ultimate goal.

The more abstract the theory or model the more real world situations it
will cover and the more useful it should be.

Our Reference architecture is a darn good abstract theory.  It will be
up to the experimentalist to test the theory by developing concrete
architectures and system to see if it holds true and to find areas where
it may need modification. So the picture is not complete (although it
will never be absolutely complete re: item 8) until SOA systems are
built and used based on this reference architecture.  Further, unless
experiments are based on a solid theory they are just shots in the
dark.  Note that some of these shots may work following the hypothesis
of an infinite number of monkeys at keyboards.

There seems to be some misunderstanding by some in the outside world as
to what this reference architecture is and should be used for.  Would it
be helpful for users to understand the purpose of this reference
architecture to include a sentence or two, such as the following, to
section 1.1.1?  "From a scientific process point of view, this Reference
Architecture is an abstract theory that is to be used to develop
concrete architectures and from those SOA systems.  As with any good
theory it must be tested to complete the process,  which in this case is
the aforementioned development of concrete architectures and SOA systems
based on this theory."

Don

--
Don Flinn